These projects have been identified as those which have open, friendly, welcoming communities where all contributions are valued and appreciated. We are proud to partner with them to foster diversity in open source and we encourage you to actively take part in any role that piques your interest. Participating in an open source project is rewarding and fun, and by volunteering your efforts, you will be helping these projects and honing your own technical skills at the same time.
If you would like to get involved with any of our projects, you are welcome to contact them directly to get started. You are also welcome to contact Elizabeth Naramore (elizabeth.at.naramore.dot.net) if you aren’t sure how to get started, or if you need some assistance deciding where to go from here. She is happy to help!
Habari is a blogging platform written in PHP.
Welcome message for PHPWomen members: http://wiki.habariproject.org/en/Getting_Involved/PHPW
IRC: freenode: #habari
Mailing list: habari-dev.googlegroups.org, habari-users.googlegroups.org
Habari needs your help with:
Phergie is an IRC bot written in PHP.
IRC: freenode: #phergie
Phergie needs your help with:
- A logo
- Help with porting old 1.x plugins over to 2.0, as a number of changes have occurred in Phergie’s architecture.
- New core components and plugins. In terms of core, we could stand to have a minimal DBAL for SQLite. For plugins, aside from those that remain to be ported, I’d like to move the inflexible ACL system from 1.x to a 2.x plugin.
Spaz is an awesome microblogging client for Twitter, Identi.ca and Laconica
Spaz needs your help with:
- JS App dev: iPhone (Titanium Mobile)
- JS App dev: Android (Titanium Mobile)
- JS App dev: Palm webOS
- Documentation and support
- JS App dev
- Moving from AIR to Titanium Desktop
- Documentation and support
- JS library development
- Platform-specific implementations:
- Titanium Mobile
- Adobe AIR
- Titanium Desktop
- Documentation for developers
Spaz Web APIs
- PHP-based web API development
Spaz End User Support
- help with troubleshooting issues raised by users
- Documentation for themers
- New themes needed
PHP-GTK is an extension for the PHP programming language that implements language bindings for GTK+.
Website: http://gtk.php.net. This project is run by PHPWomen’s very own Elizabeth Smith (auroraeosrose).
Mailing lists: http://news.php.net/php.gtk.dev (development), http://news.php.net/php.gtk.doc (documentation)
IRC: freenode #php-gtk
PHP-GTK needs your help with:
-updating the website
The PHP Documentation project maintains the official manual at php.net.
The PHP Documentation Team needs your help with:
Any of the ideas on the Wiki Page (most specifically the items that are related to the manual)
The PHP.net Website Team needs your help with:
- http://wiki.php.net/web (see “web redesign”)
- Writing up a “getting involved in PHP” page
- Writing up a “knowing your way around the community” page
- Writing up a GSOC page
Lithium is a PHP framework for PHP5.3+.
IRC: freenode #li3 (users), #li3-core (dev)
Lithium needs your help with:
- New users who just want to ask questions.
- IRC support needs
- Plugin developers are more than welcome, too. Increasingly, that’s where we’re moving our development model for new features.
FUDForum is a forum software package.
FUDForum needs your help with:
* Implement full IPv6 support. FUDforum currently only supports IPv4 and “IPv6 compatible” addresses. This will entail increasing the length of some DB columns and replacing the old IPv4 code with IPv6 friendly code.
* Allow users to login to the forum with their OpenID credentials. Use the OAuth API (www.OAuth.net) to implement.
* The current default theme needs updating with a designer’s touch. Redesign the default theme or suggest improvements.
* Design a scaled down “lo-fi” theme for mobile phone and PDA users.
Joind.in is a site that allows conferences and speakers to gather feedback on talks, and allows attendees to leave comments for the speakers or organizers. There are several PHPWomen members already contributing to this project, and it is led by Lorna Mitchell, also one of our members.
Joind.in can use your help with:
* general maintenance and bug fixing
* site improvements and features, especially if you have frontend skills as well as PHP skills
* mobile devices and other things that consume our API
All the information you need is here: http://joind.in/about – do please get in touch with any questions at all. We welcome all new contributors, even if you think you are newbie
phpMoAdmin is a MongoDB administration GUI written in PHP.
phpMoAdmin needs your help with:
Anything on this page: http://github.com/MongoDB-Rox/phpMoAdmin-MongoDB-Admin-Tool-for-PHP
web2Project is a Free Open Source business oriented Project Management System (PMS) built in PHP.
Contact: Keith Casey (keith .at. caseysoftware .dot. com)
web2Project can use your help with:
* Developer – one more team member would round things out nicely.
* Forum/user support – http://forums.web2project.net/ – We need another moderator-level person on the forums to handle the less insidery tech support questions that require some PHP understanding.
* Wiki Master – http://wiki.web2project.net/ – 90% of the the stuff on the wiki is pretty good but there should be more of it. This includes faq, docs, screenshots, grammar, etc. I think a sharp person could combine this with the Forum/user support from above as it’s a lot of the same info/work.
* Designer – Our html/css is crap. Any help that we could get in cleaning that up would be fantastic.
* A WP (or Drupal) person that would give us a hand switching the main site from phpNuke and making/tweaking a nice theme.
* Bloggers – People who are interested in writing about the software. Preferably they’re already users or evaluating it, but discussion about it in general would be a great thing.
FRAPI FRAPI is a high-level API framework that puts the “rest” back into RESTful. Use it to power your web apps, mobile services, and legacy systems
Users mailing list: http://groups.google.com/group/frapi-general
Developers Mailing list: http://groups.google.com/group/frapi-dev
Feedback mailing list? http://groups.google.com/group/frapi-feedback
They need help with:
- A nicer design for the administration interface
- Potentially a logo?